I love old photos. I know I’m a nosy photographer. As soon as I step into someone else’s house, I start sniffing for those old photos. Most of us are fascinated by their retro look but to me it’s imagining how people would feel and look like if they were to reenact them today… a few years ago, I decided to actually do this. So, with my camera, I started inviting people to go back to their future.
Back to the Future won the Burn Emerging Photographer Fund 2011. The EPF grant allowed Irina Werning to extend and finish the project. For Back to the Future, she shot 250 pictures in 32 countries.
• Born in Buenos Aires
• BA Economics, Universidad de San Andres, Buenos Aires, 1997
• MA History, Universidad Di Tella, Buenos Aires, 1999
• MA Photographic Journalism, Westminster University, London, 2006
• Winner Ian Parry Scholarship 2006
• Gordon Foundation Grant 2006
• Selected for the Joop Swart Masterclass (World Press Photo Organization), 2007
• Flash Forward, The Magenta Foundation, Canada 2011
• Winner Fine Art Portraits, SONY World Photography Awards 2012